All 18 art Reviews

Vale of Respite Vale of Respite

Wow, this is a traditional piece? Wonderful! You rendered it ver well, and I can't tell that you even shot a picture of it at all (looks digital!). I like the mood, simplicity, and atmosphere of the piece, plus the great sense of depth beyond the cliffs and waterfall that are in this piece. One piece of advice: since you have a fairly strong light source (the moon above), you could get away with adding a fairly strong rim light on some of the stones, especially those closer to the light source, if only to differentiate the stones from each other even more. For example, the stone closest to the waterfall on the left side may use a highlight to separate it from the mountain in the back. Otherwise, I see lots of potential in you, and I am scouting you for access to the portal on Newgrounds. We as an artistic community can certainly benefit from seeing your environmental works, especially as they progress. Thank you for sharing this piece with us, and welcome to Newgrounds!

Voidpriest responds:

Holy shit, thank you so much! I'll keep your advice in mind on my next piece. Feels good to be part of a website with such a strong sense of community, haha.

Close Close

I really like your style. The edges and color are so crisp and clean, and I love how the shading blends together in the face and skin but not as much in the hair. This helps to draw the eye towards her expression. The one thing that I am confused on is what is happening on her left (viewer's right) side? The brown streaks help frame the body, but I am not sure if they are their own object or what other purpose (if any) they serve. Overall, though, I really like the piece, and she has enough unique characteristics to show that she is an individual person you've drawn here. Well done, and thank you for sharing!

A sign of life A sign of life

This here is really, really cool. The atmosphere you convey is foreboding, and you're not sure as a viewer what is to come, but it also looks like fun. If this were in a graphic novel, I would want to know more, what happens next. I love your choice in coloring; the saturated green dominates but is complemented by the subdued reds and Browns of the trees, both of which bring to attention the fairy's body. It leads the eye well, and it tells a great story. THank you for sharing yet again!

portrait 9 portrait 9

Thank you for sharing this piece with us. First off, I love the use of color in this figure. The overall green theme is complemented and highlighted by the subtle reds and pale yellows of the skin. The colors work very well together, and it is very pleasing. Your lighting and rendering of this character is also great; however, I may caution the use of the highlight on the angle of the jaw close to her hair, though, since the rest of her hair does cover light in that region. Instead, it would make more sense to have a rim light closer to her chin only. I do like the choice of proportions for her face, though, and judging from your other pieces, this is something that highlights your style as an artist. I appreciate this very much. Great work, and I look forward to seeing more!

Dalia0406 responds:

Thank you so very much!!! Next time I will pay more attention to the highlight so that it makes more sense :)

Little Finger Little Finger

This is very impressive. I love the [almost] monochrome approach you used with this character. I always appreciate when a color tells a story, and in this case, the blue perfectly highlights his face, bringing it out of the dark and into the piece as a whole. I also love how you can tell so much detail in his face despite its being lit from behind. Well don! Thank you for sharing this with us!

beekart responds:

Thank you very much :) i really struggled getting this to sort of look right, wasted alot of time finding the right values across the face in this sort of dimmed light. You can see in the video that at a certain point,, not much is changing but i keep 'painting ' and noodling away trying to make something of it :D in the end it came out alright but not super happy with it.. i learned something though! :)

Stormtrooper Stormtrooper

Wow. I like how much atmosphere you convey with just black and white. Your piece is dark and dramatic, mysterious and foreboding, but simple in composition. All of these factors do it well. Thank you for sharing this piece with us! I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Blaire Blaire

Holy mackerel your creation is super fun! I love the contrast in colors as well. Her various shades/ values of yellow equate her intensity with that of the fire falling around her, and contrast against the bleak, desaturated blue behind her. I like the textures on her equipment; subtle metal that does not distract from her pose or expression. Thank you for sharing this with us!

deo101 responds:

Wow, Thank you so much!
I am really glad you like it!

Super mario speedpaint Super mario speedpaint

This character is so uniquely dark and grim, a story and atmosphere you've created so well. And only in 30 minutes! The values are spot-on, the composition is great, and the expression is so... Foreboding. I love it! Thank you for sharing this with us. Also, if you were to share these every day, you absolutely would NOT be polluting this website with your work; you'd be sharing something amazing with us, and we could learn a lot from you.

beekart responds:

Thank you for the kind words, really cool to hear that! :)
I will try to share the doodles/sketches I do in the morning more often.
Like this one i recorded it, so it can maybe be helpfull for others.
I'll try to share the ones I record and post on youtube :)

"Level up" "Level up"

Oh wow, you have made wonderful progress! The atmosphere is grim, and I love the color scheme! The desaturated blue that permeates most of the piece is perfectly offset by the brighter yellow/orange, signaling magical or "otherworldly" elements in the piece. Thank you for sharing this part of your history with us.

SimonT responds:

My pleassure:) glad you like it!

Pulling the String (IF - Yarn) Pulling the String (IF - Yarn)

This is really neat! A fun piece! I think it's amazing how much of this yarn Guy's personality you convey with a single button. Plus, the texture is spot-on. Thank you for sharing this with us!

henlp responds:

Too much praise on this shait. xP